TRAKAI – Trakai Island Castle

The construction of the Trakai Island Castle begun during the second half of the 14th century, on one of the largest Islands of the lake Galvë. The construction of castle was started by the Duke of Lithuania Kæstutis, and was completed in the first half of the 15th century by his son Vytautas the Great. Before the Battle of Grunwald the castle had been improved and newly expanded, defensive corner towers of the forecastle housed 15 cannons. After the Battle of Grunwald (in 1410), when the Teutonic Order was decisively defeated, the Island Castle became the residence of the Grand Duke. In 1413 m. the Island Castle was visited by emperor Sigismund’s representative Benedict Makra. King of Poland Jogaila – cousin of the Grand Duke of Lithuania Vytautas – visited the castle as many as 13 times over a period from 1413 to 1430. The Lithuanian Metrica that was kept in the Island Castle was transferred to Vilnius in 1511.

Features

  • Coin Alloy Name: Alpaca 2
  • Coin Alloy Color: pale gold
  • Coin Diameter: 31
  • Coin Thickness: 2,25
  • Coin Edge: serrated, fine with script
  • City: TRAKAI
  • Country: Lithuania
  • Available: yes
  • Location: TRAKAI, Lithuania