RHODES – KOS – Mandraki Harbour

Across the street from the New Market is the harbour called Mandraki distinguished from the outer harbour by the 3 windmills and the fortifications at the end of the dock. Mandraki harbour was the military port of ancient Rhodes for almost 2.500 years, its mouth could be shut off by chains. Now the mouth is adorned by statues of a male and female deer ( Elafos and Elafina) symbols of the island – which stand on columns. These statues were built by the Italians and symbolize the actual deer they brought to Rhodes to get the island rid of snakes.Mandraki is used by boats which leave there every day for short cruises to nearby islands and to bathing places on Rhodes. On the long breakwater front at Mandraki stand the three medieval windmills which ground the grain unloaded from merchant vessels in the harbor. The three windmills are actually all that remain of a line of 14 medieval windmills.The 15th century Tower of Saint Nicholas at the end of the pier in the Mandraki harbor was the key to the defense of the city and in both the first unsuccessful siege of 1480 and the second and final siege of 1522-23 was pounded into rubble in some of the most ferocious battles in the defense of the city.

Release Dates

2004, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016

Features

  • Coin Alloy Name: brass
  • Coin Alloy Color: gold
  • Coin Diameter: 31
  • Coin Thickness: 2,25
  • Coin Edge: serrated, fine with script
  • City: RHODES
  • Country: Greece
  • Available: yes
  • Location: RHODES, Greece